"In our day to day actions, it is often the small and simple things that will have a long-lasting impact. What we say, how we act, and how we choose to react will influence not only ourselves but also those around us. We can build up, or we can tear down." -Per G. Malm

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes.......

...Is not just a Primary Song. It is now the new modesty song in our house. I went to the "How to talk to your kids about sex" class at the Stake Relief Society Meeting last Saturday and I loved it. Even though my babies are only 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 that talk will be coming sooner than I would like to think, so I took the class. One of the sisters said with her girls they play head shoulders, knees and toes to check to see if their clothes are modest. Hands on head- does the shirt come up? Hands on shoulders- are the shoulders covered so that you could enter the temple? and can you see your bra and etc.. in your sleeve because it is too big? Knees- does the skirt cover my knees and do you see your breasts while bending over? and Toes- does your skirt cover you behind or do you see your panties while bending over as well as breasts? I love it.
We are teaching our children young that modesty is important. Brock and I decided No sleeveless shirts or sundresses, We are discussing shorts (leaning towards knee shorts only), one piece swimsuits, etc... They are young but the scriptures say to teach them while they are young. Our philosophy is the younger they learn it the easier it will be to live it as they get older. It is sinking in I must say. Emily informed her grandma that she was not modest when she came over with a sleeveless shirt on. As always we are working on why we dress modestly and that even though other people don't, we still do.

3 comments:

Shanna said...

As for the shorts, We agree. We do not buy Katie the girl shorts because they are just too short. We buy her boy shorts. So if she is in a size 5 for girls we just buy her a size 5 of the boys. So most of the time Katie and Leo match with what is on their legs. The boys shorts are much longer and most of the time they do go all the way to her knees. just a suggestion. (We get our clothes from Wal-mart.)

Unknown said...

Shirts and dress have to have sleeves. Since its nigh on impossible to find a church dress with sleeves, Kiya has to either wear a shirt under it or a cardigan/shrug over it. One piece swimsuits, long shorts, etc. Also, Logan is not allowed to go without a shirt and his shirts must have sleeves. Boys need modesty too. We don't buy clothes that don't meet these guidelines and if we are given hand-me-downs we get rid of the clothes that don't follow them either.

Deb said...

I can say for the most part I agree... I happen to think that it is all a matter of my choice though not hers. She only gets an outfit if I approve. Which sometimes means it might not have sleeves and as for skirts it id hard to find them long enough for her long legs so if it has attached shorts she can have it. Almost all of her skirts have them. We tend to let her go but keep her to our standards. As for boys Kenny can wear what he wants but can't go shirtless unless he is going in the water. Rachele wears two piece suits but they are modest ones not skimpy...heck i have a two piece I could not find a short style one that would fit so I got a nice short bottom and a long halter top that is not too reveling...anywho I love this idea. I hope it works for you.