"In our day to day actions, it is often the small and simple things that will have a long-lasting impact. What we say, how we act, and how we choose to react will influence not only ourselves but also those around us. We can build up, or we can tear down." -Per G. Malm

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Phone Companies

So last week we switched from Comcast to Verizon because we were having problems with our phone cutting out all the time in the middle of calls. Truly annoying. So Brock found a deal on the Internet with Verizon. Basic phone and high speed Internet for $45.99. Not bad. It is saving us $12 a month or $144 a year. It comes with free long distance :-) but not caller ID, Call waiting, or voicemail. :-( So when you call you will receive a busy signal if I am on the phone. I won't know who you are ahead of time, and we do have an answering machine built into our phone so you can leave messages. Our number unfortunately was not able to port so we got a new one. I emailed every one I could. I don't want to post our new number so look on the ward directory or call Anna. :-) Everything is up and running now but it wasn't such an easy process. (Is anything ever?) So I couldn't go to provident living because the Verizon guy would be here anytime between 8-5. (Lovely, I'll just put my life on hold so they can show up whenever they want.) SO he shows up after I would have been home from provident living, of course. By the way Emily, Thanks for the demonstration soap. That was super nice. Anyhow Anna and the kids come over to deliver said soap and have lunch. Needless to say it is crazy fun in our little 1200 square foot apartment with 2 adults and 6 kids all 5 and under. The Verizon guy thought so too as he was stepping over children, toys, and poopy diapers, which by the way were alot. Sam alone had three, Seth had two and Emily had one. PEEEYEW! He was here for like 3 hours trying to get our phone to work.. There was something wrong with our jacks and he wouldn't go into the attic/crawlspace to see if he could fix it. (Understandable, just following company policy). He just couldn't figure out what was the problem. He kept telling me that Comcast must have run something through our jacks and I kept telling him it was all a cable line. Finally he left and we had no new phone. Fortunately we hadn't cancelled Comcast yet so we still had a phone. The next day I am getting the girls around and getting ready to leave for an appointment and there is a knock at the door. It is another Verizon guy. I had no idea they were coming. So again I couldn't make my appointment. He was here to install the DSL stuff for the Internet. Which he couldn't do because our jacks weren't working correctly. (No thanks to the guy the day before who didn't fix them.) But Mike was great .He worked on every jack and checked out he crawlspace so we could be up and running. So now we are. The bonus is he didn't charge us for the extra labor ($90/half hour). And he was here almost 3 hours. I fed him lunch out of gratitude. Why can't anything ever go smoothly??

No comments: